How to link mobile number to Aadhar Card : [FULL GUIDE]
Aadhar has become an important document not only to establish your identity and avail social security schemes but also for financial matters such as filing income tax returns (ITR), keeping your bank account active, and investing in financial products like mutual funds. This article will guide you how to link mobile number to Aadhar card
Earlier on in the year, it was announced that customers had to link their mobile numbers with their Aadhar. There are many advantages of linking the two. For example, you can e-verify your ITR using Aadhar. In this process an OTP is sent to the mobile number linked to your Aadhar. You can even update personal details linked to your Aadhar online using an OTP sent to your registered mobile number. Downloading your e-Aadhar also requires verification via OTP sent to your mobile number.
Also check out: How To Locate Nearest Aadhar Center : [FULL GUIDE]
If you want to link mobile number to Aadhar, there can be two scenarios:
1. You are linking it for the first time;
2. You have changed your phone number and want to update your Aadhar data by replacing the old number with the new one.
How To Link mobile number to Aadhar for the first time:
This needs to be done offline. Most online transactions are OTP (one-time-password) authenticated, i.e., the password is sent to the registered number. Since you are linking your number for the first time, online authentication is not possible. To do this offline you need to follow these steps:
• Visit your nearest Aadhar center (Click here to locate nearest aadhar center) to get the Aadhar Update/Correction Form or
Click here to download form from the UIDAI website.
• Fill out the form correctly; submit it to the concerned person at the center and mention on the form that only mobile number is to be updated.
• While submitting the update form, along with photocopy of your Aadhar card you also need to provide photocopy of an Identity proof document such as PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID card (Click here for the complete list of supporting documents).
• Following the submission your biometrics will be verified at the enrolment center. Your thumb impression will be verified. While applying for Aadhar your biometrics were recorded and to authenticate the changes, they are verified.
• After verifying the biometrics, you will be given an acknowledgement slip. Usually it takes 2-5 working days for the updation to happen but as per the UIDAI helpline the turnaround time for the updation is 10 days.
Updating your mobile number
You can link mobile number to aadhar card online, but make sure that your existing number linked to your Aadhar, is functional and handy. This is because the OTP to authenticate the updation would be sent to your existing number. You will be able link your new mobile number with Aadha only after submitting the OTP sent on your old number.
• On the UIDAI website, there’s an option under the Aadhar Update tab that will redirect the user to the Aadhar Self-Service portal.
(Click here to go to the portal directly)
• Enter your Aadhar number, and the Captcha text and request for OTP.
• The OPT will be sent to your existing mobile number, and after submitting it you’ll be redirected to a new page, where you can update the desired details.
• Under ‘Select field(s) to update’, select ‘Mobile Number’
• Now enter your new mobile number that you want to record in the database and submit.